Friday, November 01, 2019

undercover hippy parents

I'm beginning to suspect my parents were really not just slightly bohemian, but full on crazy 60s hippies in disguise. My dad was hardly ever out of a suit, even gardening or DIY at weekends, and my mum was dressed as if to go to the Albert hall to give a performance (which she did from time to time upon the Pianoforte).

But, then they took me to Hydra in about 1968, where i was told to sing by leonard cohen (see this brilliant film of leonard cohen and his muse marianne. And then they took me to this show at the ICA on robots and dance&music Cybernetics Seredipity. And to the Notting Hill carnival where we walked & danced at the front of the main parade. And then to see Hair in London. And my dad was an expert witness in the cases against Oz, IT and the Little Red Book. And my mum had a standup argument with Pierre Boulez in the Pompidou center about aesthetics. And we used to go to parties at the roof garden at Biba now closed, alas . then they nearly sent me to Bedales school, though i ended up a day boy at westminster - if you think that that is straight, let me tell you Shane Mcgowan from the pogues was there at same time.

This explains a lot...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am not sure it explains anything, but it all sounds fun!